When I decided to start collecting tiny bjds I had to somehow justify their cost (mostly to myself but a little to hubby too). While I’d always enjoyed photographing my Monster High and Pullips, it was never really in a serious way and always very sporadic so I decided with my new girls I would really try and not only get into photographing them but actually learn what my camera can and can’t do.
Previously I had always used a very basic (and cute) point and shoot camera but we did buy a decent Digital SLR camera a few years back. I didn’t use it often but I do admit when I did I had it on the most automatic mode possible and mostly just enjoyed turning the lens to zoom in and out 😀
There are the most amazing Pullip and BJD photographers on Flickr whom I have always greatly admired but the thought of producing something even remotely similar was so incredibly daunting but I definitely wanted to try!
So this is my setup:
Very simple L frame made of ply wood and painted white. The ‘skirting board’ was just purchased from Bunnings and isn’t exactly the right scale. I have since discovered you can buy actual 1/12 dollhouse scale skirting board which would look amazing. My ‘floor’ and ‘wallpaper’ are just sheets of scrapbooking paper and thankfully they are the perfect size for 16cm tinies.
I mostly take my photos in natural light, being in the height of summer gives me plenty of time even after I get home from work but in winter I do have a light setup which I use. It produces some great results but takes a little while to setup and I’m lazy!
This was one of the very first photo shoots I did:
Hadn’t quite got the hang of focusing manually yet and still working out the kicks with posing (haha kicks because she was – and still is – very kicky)
I’m thinking of doing a 365 days of dolly photos challenge to really get into the swing of things but that’s going to require some serious dedication…