Custom made mohair/angora/alpaca wigs are all the rage these days and I wanted to get in on the action!
Now I LOVE wigs, even with my Pullips I have far far more wigs than dolls. A new wig can change the look and feel of a doll so much that it’s almost like getting a new one! While I love synthetic fibre wigs that are smooth and shiny, I also like to have a collection of natural fibres in my arsenal. I find mohair and alpaca wigs especially tempting for the tinies because there are so few wigs in these sizes that don’t have a full, blunt fringe.
My first attempt at sewing a mohair wig was disastrous (and painful!), the first wig I made was WAY too small and the second was WAY too big. Not only that but my seams were way too big and it just kind of looked like a dogs breakfast. I’m not really sure how you are meant to stick a needle through the thick hide without killing your finger or how you can possibly sew seams so tiny either by hand or with a machine, so I pretty much gave up. Basically the end result was a lot of wasted mohair…opps.
Thankfully I had saved the mohair since it seemed like a waste to throw it out, even if it wasn’t exactly a ‘wig’ the fur on it was still good! Inspired by all the amazing alpaca wigs I have been seeing lately I decided to try my own using scraps of mohair.
I used scraps of fabric for my wig cap – kawaii fabric actually , I wasn’t kidding about scraps! – and then cut the hair off my ruined wig attempts. I didn’t have any paint brushes that weren’t coated in old paint so I used a sponge instead and I used a skewer to glue the hair to the wig cap. The above picture is literally all that I used to create the wig. The end result looks something like this:
It turned out about 10000x better than I thought it would but there is definitely lots of room for improvement! You can see the wig cap peeking out in some spots and her parting needs a lot more work BUT if you saw how my original wigs turned out then you would understand what an achievement this was (haha!). Also don’t mind the fuzzy bits near the front of her part, that was just me not brushing it aside properly.
This is what the wig looks like by itself (you can see the kawaii print)- kind of scary like a crazy homicidal clown:
Besides the fact I could actually make a wig using this technique I also really like it because it gives you control over how ‘poofy’ you want the wig to be. Sewn mohair wigs (while adorable) can sometimes be just too big for tiny heads and overwhelm them whereas here you can just glue more or less mohair to your wig cap until you have your desired thickness.
Since the tutorials I used and linked covered everything I did I don’t plan on doing a step-by-step myself unless I happen to stumble across some miracle technique or something! This wig was amazingly simple to make – especially on a tiny lati head! – and fits perfectly, it is in no danger of falling off even when poor Lea is held upside down.
I encourage everyone to try it yourself! 🙂 I know I will definitely be making more – I have some suri alpaca hair on it’s way already…