Custom made mohair/angora/alpaca wigs are all the rage these days and I wanted to get in on the action!
Now I LOVE wigs, even with my Pullips I have far far more wigs than dolls. A new wig can change the look and feel of a doll so much that it’s almost like getting a new one! While I love synthetic fibre wigs that are smooth and shiny, I also like to have a collection of natural fibres in my arsenal. I find mohair and alpaca wigs especially tempting for the tinies because there are so few wigs in these sizes that don’t have a full, blunt fringe.
My first attempt at sewing a mohair wig was disastrous (and painful!), the first wig I made was WAY too small and the second was WAY too big. Not only that but my seams were way too big and it just kind of looked like a dogs breakfast. I’m not really sure how you are meant to stick a needle through the thick hide without killing your finger or how you can possibly sew seams so tiny either by hand or with a machine, so I pretty much gave up. Basically the end result was a lot of wasted mohair…opps.
Thankfully I had saved the mohair since it seemed like a waste to throw it out, even if it wasn’t exactly a ‘wig’ the fur on it was still good! Inspired by all the amazing alpaca wigs I have been seeing lately I decided to try my own using scraps of mohair.